So, you’ve been looking for a gorgeous new rug to update your home décor. You’ve finally got it all picked out, and you’re totally excited – the colors are perfect for your space, the pattern will make it a focal point in the room, and the material will be so comfy on your family’s tootsies! It’s going to be the ideal rug for your home, and you just can’t wait to get it.
But as you’re about to order, you see a little banner advertising rug pads.
Hmm, you think. Do I really need a rug pad?
Yes! Every rug needs a rug pad, even if the rug is already soft and plush, and even if it’s meant to be placed on top of carpet. Here are the 5 most important reasons why you definitely need a rug pad for your new area rug, no matter what type of rug you’re buying and where you’re planning on putting it.
1. Safety: Rugs that slip and slide all over the floor are not only annoying – they can be dangerous, causing trips and falls. And it’s not just hard surfaces that rugs can slide over, either – they can slide just as easily over carpet. Placing a rug pad underneath an area rug keeps it in place to prevent sliding.
Rug pads grip rugs firmly, so as they keep the rug stationary, they’re also holding down the edges and corners, preventing feet from getting caught and tripped up by an accidentally flipped-up corner. Rug pads also prevent the development of little “hills” and “valleys” across the rug’s surface, where rugs become bunched up. These bumps can also cause tripping, and honestly, they’re just not very attractive, either.
2. Longevity: Rug pads also extend the life of your area rugs by acting as protective cushions against the floor. Whether the floor is hard or carpeted, every time someone steps on your area rug, the fibers are crushed against it. Having a rug pad in place keeps those fibers safe from the friction and force each time.
Rugs held firm by a rug pad are also protected from the curling and wrinkles that can develop from the repeated bunching up or flipping over of the rug’s corners and edges. And wear and tear on edges is reduced greatly, too.
3. Protection: Believe it or not, rug pads aren’t just there for your area rug’s sake – they’re also there to protect your floor. Different rugs are, of course, made of different materials, and use different dyes to achieve their colors. Without a rug pad, some might scratch a hardwood floor, or snag on a carpet. Others may stain a carpet through dye transfer, if they get wet. Rug pads are important to have, just in case your floor and your new rug don’t get along.
4. Comfort: Of course, the first thing that comes to mind when most people think of rug pads is the added comfort they provide. Thinner area rugs suddenly become cushiony, and rugs that are already soft become luxuriously plush when a rug pad, like our Safavieh Padding PAD 30 Grey Rug, below, is placed underneath them.
5. Cleanliness: Finally, a rug pad helps you keep your area rug clean. It holds your rug in place for easier vacuuming, and some, like our Safavieh Padding PAD121 White Rug, shown at the top, even have antimicrobial properties to inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria, mold, and mildew. If anyone in your house has allergies, rug pads can be lifesavers when it comes to keeping rugs allergen-free.
So before you complete your rug purchase, be sure to add a rug pad to your cart, as well! That way, your new rug and your floor will stay clean and beautiful for years to come.