We’ve all seen that classic children’s rug with the roads and buildings on it, meant for little ones to spend hours making their toy cars follow the map and obey the stop signs. But buying a rug for your child’s room shouldn’t limit you to a certain pattern or style. Keep reading to ask yourself what kinds of kids’ room rugs to buy and the reasons you may have for choosing certain styles.
Does my child’s bedroom need a rug?
If your child’s room is typically a mess, you may wonder why you’d need a rug at all. A rug will provide the perfect protection between your child’s playtime and hardwood floors, or that nice carpet that can’t be replaced. Whether you own a home or just rent one, children create plenty of wear and tear throughout the house without much effort. Replacing rugs and floors can be costly. Kids’ rugs are an inexpensive way to buffer the damage without hindering their creativity or enthusiasm.
- Prevent your child from getting splinters or bruises from hardwood floors
- Offer stain-resistant material that can handle any spill or stain from crayons, paint, markers, or pens
- Provide a bright, entertaining background to play on
This Green Fairytale Town Area Rug, one of many kids’ rugs found at RugsUSA, gives an extra element of play for toy cars and dolls to play on. Hours of fun are facilitated with the neat roads and buildings depicted on the rug, which also hides stains with its bright colors. Children can be as rough as they want on this sturdy, dependable rug.
Does my child need a soft place to play?
When designing the perfect baby nursery, you want a nice soft rug to tie the room together. The baby needs a place to learn to crawl around without hurting themselves or bumping their head on the floors. If you already have carpet in place, you’ll need a rug to stand up against all the little accidents that come with being a small child.
Children and infants love the textures that come with kids’ rugs, so pick one that won’t leave rug burns on their knees while they practice gymnastics. Little ones tend to gravitate towards the floor to build block towers, eat snacks, and read picture books.
Kids’ room rugs like this Pink Soft Rozelle Kids Area Rug can protect elbows and knees from the floor and limit the number of bruises they get during playtime. It can also make getting out of bed in the morning and going to bed at night a gentle experience.
Does my child need a stain-resistant rug?
Spills and stains are unavoidable with children. Fortunately, there are plenty of different kinds of kids’ rugs that are either machine-washable, stain-resistant, or hide purple grape juice stains well.
- Polypropylene rugs are made from synthetic fibers. Not only are they stain-resistant, but they are also moisture-resistant and mildew-resistant as well. If your child has pets, these rugs will take on the dirt that may get tracked into the bedroom. However, the texture for these rugs is not as soft as other kinds of rugs.
- Wool rugs are surprisingly stain-resistant and also soft for children to play on. The rug does not act like a sponge, but instead wards off the absorption of the stain. However, these rugs cannot typically be put in the washing machine because of the nature of the material.
- Nylon rugs are stain-resistant, durable, and can last a long time. These comfortable rugs provide that soft barrier between the child and the floor and handle all forms of wear and tear. Some forms of nylon rugs are safe for the washing machine, while others aren’t. Read the label before washing the rug.
- Cotton rugs are natural, stain-resistant, and usually machine washable. Whenever a child has a big spill or tracks mud into the bedroom, simply roll the rug up and throw it in the wash. However, cotton does shrink in the dryer, so make sure to air-dry your rug instead.
- Washable rugs are easy to clean and easy to replace. If your child accidentally colors on the rug during playtime or if an accident happens several times in one week, just roll the rug up and throw it in the washing machine!
Washable rugs don’t have to be ugly or poorly made. In fact, many washable children’s rugs are made and designed with bright colors to fit in children’s rooms. Check out this vivid Multi Tiffany Handprint Collage Kids Washable Area rug.
Are there age-appropriate kids rugs?
An older child might want something with a different style or texture, but you still need something that is durable and stain-resistant. Even older children tend to tumble, drop or break pens during homework sessions, or spill drinks on the floor. If your child is a little older, make a list of kids’ room rugs that meet your standards, and let them pick the one they want from that list.
Rugs like the Multi Kids Abstracted Spotted Branches Shag Area Rug offer stylish shades and textures while still providing that durability that your child’s room will need. There are plenty of ways to personalize kids’ rugs based on your child’s personality, whether it be a sports theme, an animal print, or simply a unique blend of colors.
Unlimited options to choose from!
Children’s rugs come in all shapes, sizes, colors, patterns, and textures. Rugs can be chosen to grow with the child, or you can keep updating the room as their needs and wants change. A rug on your child’s bedroom floor can keep a room happy, bright, and safe for your child to live their everyday lives.