You might envision a country styled home as one that features cowhide prints and wagon wheels . . . but rest assured, contemporary country style is not like that at all. Whether you want to redo a single room or your entire home, contemporary country can offer a laid-back vibe that never goes out of style.
With its emphasis on comfort and beauty, the contemporary country home decor style is a great choice for any space. Its use of simple lines, neutrals, colors, and engaging textures is sure to make your home feel more welcoming, like someone actually lives in the space.
To explore all the possibilities of country decor, a moodboard might be an ideal place to start. Here’s your guide to everything you need to know about the contemporary country design style for the home.
How to Use This Moodboard?
A moodboard helps determine how you want to incorporate the contemporary country style into your home by offering a preview of how certain items would look in your space. Using pictures and other media, a moodboard is designed to allow your creativity to soar. Use it to visualize the elements you are interested in to see how they all work together.
You need to learn more about contemporary country design before committing to adding it to your home. A moodboard can help you pick and choose the aspects of the trend that you like the most and start to get a feel for what it would look like in your space.
A moodboard for rugs and furniture helps you to review your options and find the ones that appeal to you the most. It helps you to visualize the key elements of contemporary country and how you can make them your own.
A mood board strives to create examples and to show you the possibilities that are available. You don’t need to adopt each element of the contemporary country style to achieve the look–simply can pick and choose the parts that you like best.
What Is Contemporary Country?
While you might know what country decor looks like, you aren’t so sure about the contemporary country. This design option helps you create a comfortable, classic look in your home. Here are a few elements of this design trend:
- Patterns: Floral patterns have often been a part of country decor, but now you can try adding checks, stripes, and other patterns of accent pillows, throws, and rugs.
- Natural materials and wood: You must love a lot of wood and natural materials in your space to achieve a contemporary country look. You might consider a large coffee table or exposed wooden beams.
- No need to match: Are you in love with a blue couch and a gray loveseat? This is the style for you. One of the earmarks of the contemporary country look is the mismatched furniture pieces.
The contemporary country decor style is simple and comfortable. You can adapt it with some small changes, or start from scratch and complete an entire room.
What Is the Difference Between Contemporary and Farmhouse Decor?
Before you can decide if the contemporary country look is right for you, it’s a good idea to understand the differences between contemporary country and farmhouse. Farmhouse features lived-in details in a range of warm and cool palettes, and contemporary decor boasts smooth lines and cooler, more neutral color palettes. Contemporary country decor takes all the best parts of a contemporary look and all the great features of farmhouse decor and combines them into a cohesive style trend.
Contemporary Country Rugs
One of the best ways to start incorporating contemporary country design into a room is with the addition of an area rug. This small detail can have a big impact on the overall feel and look of the space. Here is a look at a few area rugs that can help you create a contemporary country look in your room:
- Neutral tones: The contemporary country style favors neutral colors, but they can be warmer shades. You can opt for a single color or a pattern. However, a solid shade can pull together your look.
- Patterns: You can choose a patterned look to fit into your new contemporary country look. Floral has always been popular with the farmhouse look, but the contemporary country style allows for other patterns, such as stripes or dots. Since you don’t need to be on point with your matching, you can choose what you like instead of what matches.
- Try new shapes: Other than the classic rectangular rug, try a square area rug or even an oval rug or round rug to dial up the country vibe.
Other Key Elements
It takes more than an area rug to achieve a contemporary country look in your home. Here are a few of the key elements:
- Natural materials: You need to lean into wood, cotton, and other natural materials in everything from the accent pillows to the area rugs. You can even add a few pieces of distressed wood furniture in its natural tones.
- Mix and match: The contemporary country look makes it a snap to mix antiques with newer items. You can also mix and match patterns and materials. You want to go with the things you like and not worry so much about matching or keeping up with a specific theme.
- Practical: You want the items in your room to be practical. If you buy a pouf, you want one that you feel comfortable putting your feet upon.
- Warm and cozy: While you want to use neutral colors, you need to lean into a warmer color palette.
When you want to change up your look, the contemporary country decor has a lot to offer. Rugs USA can help you find the ideal rug to change up your decor and start transitioning to a new style.