“Fashions fade, style is eternal.”
This quote by Yves Saint Laurent can definitely be applied to home decor. Creating the perfect environment in your home is about understanding your own style rather than following a trend. And, more often than not, to create your own style (or home decor look) is about looking at the current trends and applying the ones you love to freshen your place.
Being on the lookout for accent pieces that can pull together the various decorative pieces in your rooms can be energizing. And rugs are a part of what can tie your room together. Trendy rugs offer functionality and bring texture and color to your space. Even more than that, Rugs USA’s pricing gives you the chance to experiment with different trends, with the flexibility to swap in for other options as your style evolves.
In order to keep your home decor in style, you can always learn more about the current trends in rugs. And the best way to understand where we are right now in rug trends is to take a look at the past.
What rugs were in style in 2020?
Before we look at the rug trends of 2021, let’s take a step back to the best trends of 2020. You may find that some of these styles are still hot or that they appeal to you more than the current ones.
Here’s a look at the most popular rug trends in 2020:
- Natural fibers: As the world becomes more eco-friendly, rug trends have followed suit. While some natural fibers, such as silk, cotton, and wool, have always been popular, the new trend is undyed or lightly colored natural fibers. These include natural fibers that weren’t so popular that long ago as a rug material. There were a lot of new rugs made from sisal, seagrass, and jute.
- Area rugs with patterns: Area rugs are a wonderful option for warming up a room or adding a splash of color. A patterned area rug brings your home decor to the next level of interest. Popular choices for area rugs with patterns in 2020 include Oriental rugs and Moroccan rugs.
- Earth tones and neutral colors: This trend goes hand in hand with the trend towards natural fibers. You can add an earth tone or neutral color to almost any decorating scheme or palette.
After looking at the trends in 2020, it’s time to take a look at the ones in 2021.
What Rugs Are in Style in 2021?
With a new year, some rug trends become more entrenched while others tend to fade away in place of new ideas. New trends offer new possibilities to create a home that’s stylish and comfortable. Here’s a look at some of the most popular rug styles in 2021:
- Rugs in unique places: You don’t normally find many rugs in the kitchen or laundry room, but 2021 is the year to change this. By adding a rug or two to these areas, you can bring a pop of color and pattern to a kitchen done in neutral tones. Dreaming of kitchen rug ideas can change the look and feel of these areas.
- Geometric shapes in bold colors: If you love color, then this is the rug trend for you. For any room in your home, a rug featuring geometric shapes and a bold color offset with white is the way to go. You can use these patterns in your entryway or dining room to up the wow factor and make a statement as soon as you enter the house.
- Vintage and faded: Everything seems to come back in style at some point, and in 2021, the vintage look with faded colors and antique patterns is back. It’s okay if you don’t have one of your grandmother’s old rugs tucked away—you can find a new “vintage” rug available in faded patterns.
Rugs come in many styles from runners and welcome mats to area rugs. If you’re interested in area rugs, it’s time to explore the trends for this type of rug.
What Are the Latest Trends in Modern Area Rugs?
Area rugs come in a variety of colors, sizes, styles, and materials to fit into the decor of almost any room. You can choose a unique rug to pull together several mismatched pieces of furniture or provide texture to a room with hardwood floors. Here’s a look at the latest trends in area rugs:
- Modern cowhide: While you might think that a cowhide area rug would only look good in a cabin in the woods or a home out West, this isn’t the case. A beautiful cowhide area rug can bring warmth to a room with cooler colors. You can also get a cowhide print on a sheepskin rug if you prefer something safer for the animal.
- Chevron patterns: These area rugs are available in a variety of colors, although one is usually white. Chevron can bring together the look of a variety of patterns, including floral. A chevron area rug can bring warmth and texture to any room. Opt for a bold color to make a statement.
- Moroccan rugs: If you’re looking for unique rugs ideas, a Moroccan area rug never goes out of style. Inspired by designs out of Morocco, these rugs come in many patterns, styles, colors, and sizes.
An area rug can help you change the look and feel of a room without spending the time and money to redecorate.
What Are the Most Popular Area Rugs?
With so many styles, patterns, colors, shapes, and materials to choose from, area rugs are always a popular option for your home. Before committing to one or one for each room, you want to know the most popular area rugs. Here’s a look at few ideas you might consider:
- Layered area rugs: This is a trend that started in 2020 and has only gained popularity. If you have an antique rug, and it isn’t large enough for the room you want to place it in, you can solve the problem by placing it on top of a large area rug. Layering area rugs allow you the chance to express your creativity at blending styles, shapes, colors, and patterns.
- Turkish: With rich jewel tones and intricate patterns, a Turkish area rug can create a high-end look in your home. The good news is that you don’t need to jet off to Istanbul to acquire one.
- Kilim area rugs: Also inspired by Turkey, these unique rugs provide rich warm colors that you can use to enhance the beauty of any room. They’re also inspired by rugs from North Africa and the Balkans. It’s the perfect addition to any room with a lot of dark wood furniture.
At Rugs USA, we understand how a trendy rug can transform the look of any rug. We always have the best selection of rugs available from trendy to classic.