Ah, the holidays. That magical time of year where friends and family come together to exchange gifts, joy...and the dreaded spills. With all the extra traffic through your home, your area rugs are bound to take some abuse. From dropped gravy to party punch, we've put together a guide to help you rescue your rugs from this holiday faux pas with ease.
First and foremost, you should always keep the following clean-up items on hand:
- White or paper towels
- NuClean® Carpet Rug Cleaner
Place them in one central location for quick access during the holiday season.
Important: When cleaning, always blot from the outside in. Never rub! This can ruin your fibers.
Before going to town on any spills, do a spot test on a small section of your rug first. While these are tried and true methods for most rug fibers, they may not always work. If all else fails, take your rug to a professional cleaner.
Silk, Hides, and other delicate fibers should always be cleaned professionally.
Proper Solid (Ketchup, Gravy, Butter, etc.) & Liquid (Wine, Juice, Eggnog, etc.) stain removal instructions
- After removing loose or dry soil and blotting up wet stains with a clean cloth or sponge, apply NuClean® Carpet Rug Cleaner to the soiled area.
- Allow NuClean® Carpet Rug Cleaner to remain on the area for 1 to 5 minutes to penetrate into the fibers and loosen the soil.
- Blot excess product from the surface using a clean cloth or sponge.
- Allow the area to dry for 15 to 30 minutes.
- For stubborn stains, it may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process, and/or softly brush the area during application.
A holiday spill is certainly an unpleasant surprise, but now that you've got tips and tricks to add to your arsenal, you'll never have to think twice about whether to serve gravy or red wine again. We here at the Rugs USA team wish you the happiest holidays!