Ah, the holidays. That magical time of year where friends and family come together to exchange gifts, joy...and the dreaded spills. With all the extra traffic through your home, your area rugs are bound to take some abuse. From dropped gravy to party punch, we've put together a guide to help you rescue your rugs from this holiday faux pas with ease.
First and foremost, you should always keep the following clean-up items on hand:
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
- White Vinegar
- Dye free dish soap
- White or paper towels
Place them in one central location for quick access during the holiday season.
Important: When cleaning, always blot from the outside in. Never rub! This can ruin your fibers.
Before going to town on any spills, do a spot test on a small section of your rug first. While these are tried and true methods for most rug fibers, they may not always work. If all else fails, take your rug to a professional cleaner.
Silk, Hides, and other delicate fibers should always be cleaned professionally.
Solid/semi – solid stains (Ketchup, Gravy, Butter, etc.):
- If there is any solid or semi solid residue on your rug's surface, use a blunt spoon to scoop it up before treating the stained area.
- blot any excess moisture using a clean white towel or paper towels.
- In a spray bottle, mix 1 tbsp of Ammonia with 1⁄2 cup of water.
- Mist the affected area with your spray and blot with a clean towel.
Do not use this mixture on wool rugs. Substitute your ammonia for clear dish soap instead.
Liquid stains (Wine, Juice, Eggnog, etc.):
- blot the area with a clean white towel or paper towel.
- Combine a cup of water with a few drops of clear dish soap.
- Drizzle enough of the mixture on the rug surface to completely cover the stain, and blot with a new towel.
- If you still notice any staining, you can also dab the area with hydrogen peroxide. Let it set for about an hour.
For coffee and tea stains, use a vinegar and water rinse.
A holiday spill is certainly an unpleasant surprise, but now that you've got tips and tricks to add to your arsenal, you'll never have to think twice about whether to serve gravy or red wine again. We here at the Rugs USA team wish you the happiest holidays!