Living Room Area Rugs and Runners
Living room area rugs add warmth and comfort atop hardwood and tile floors, add layers of texture to a room, and help reduce noise in your living space. They anchor the furniture in a room, creating cozy, intimate spaces and seating areas.
Choose from among thousands of our popular and top-rated affordable rugs online to find the perfect floor covering for your most lived-in space.
Choosing the Right Size
Confused about the right size of area rug for your living room? Read our guide to choosing the right rug size. Here’s a quick summary for common living room sizes!
- 5x7 and 5x8 Rugs: These work well for smaller living rooms. Smaller rugs play off of the room’s scale, lending a larger feel to tight spaces. Place the rug in front of your sofa and chairs and center the coffee table on top for a classic layout.
- 8x10 Rugs: 8x10 area rugs work well with larger living rooms to tie the space together. Rest the front legs of your sofa and chairs on top of these rugs. This layout works especially well with furniture placed against a wall, since no one will be stepping behind the furniture.
- 9x12 Rugs and Oversize Rugs: Perfect for defining seating areas in large, open spaces where furniture groups are not against walls. These rugs are large enough to accommodate all sofas, loveseats, armchairs, and coffee tables with room to spare. Make sure you size the rug so there is 24” of space beyond the furniture set to allow room for walking.
Living Room Area Rugs We Love
- Our Jute & Sisal Rugs add an understated, rustic element to any room; their neutral colors and playful textures and patterns to make anyone feel instantly at home. Use our 9x12 Jute & Sisal Rugs as a base for layering rugs to give your space a luxe feel.
- Our Moroccan Area Rugs are perennial customer favorites. These rugs add a global flair to your home with patterns inspired by the souks of Marrakech and the tribes of the Atlas Mountains.
- Family-friendly Shag Area Rugs add a spot of plushness to your living room, letting you relax after a long day, and making sure your kids have a soft place to rest as they play.